Most people probably think of penis rings as a device to increase pleasure during sex. This is true, but they can also be used in people with erectile dysfunction to try and improve erections.
How can a penis ring improve my erections?
Although penis rings have not been proven to improve erections for everyone, studies of individual people have shown that you could see some real benefits – the main advantage of penis rings is they can be used with other erectile dysfunction treatments to improve the effects.
A penis ring fits around the base of the penis, or the penis and testicles, and applies pressure to the surrounding area. This pressure squeezes the blood vessels that carry blood out of the penis and causes blood to leave more slowly.
If you have erectile dysfunction then your body can’t keep enough blood in the penis to keep an erection going. A penis ring will trap blood in the penis for longer and increases the total amount of blood in the penis for a stronger erection.
How do I use a penis ring?
Here’s a guide on putting on your penis ring, depending on the type:
- Make sure you have an erection first.
- Slip the ring over the head of your penis.
- Roll is down your shaft up against the base (where the penis meets your crotch).
- Make sure you’re flaccid.
- Put your testicles in first, one-by-one.
- Fold the head of your penis down towards the ring.
- Push the head of your penis through the ring and pull the rest of your shaft.
- Make sure the ring is at the base of your penis and scrotum.
- Go for a lightweight one if you’re a beginner.
- With the penoscrotal ring, put your testicles through the ring one-by-one.
- This will not sit at the base of your scrotum, but it will hang on the top of your testicles.
For all rings:
- They should:
- Be right up against your body with no gap.
- Be able to stay in place even when you have no erection and you stand up.
- Not feel too tight or uncomfortable.
- You may want to try increasing blood flow by taking a hot bath or shower beforehand.
- Shaving your pubic hair can avoid them painfully snagging on the ring.
- Try them with masturbation before trying them with sex so you can get used to them.
- Standing or being on top could help as gravity with pull more blood towards the penis.
- If you have trouble putting on your penis ring it can help to apply some lubricant to your penis and testicles, and to the inside of the penis ring.
- If you find it difficult to orgasm with your ring on, remove it just before orgasm. This can also increase pleasure.
- Buying a ring that vibrates can increase pleasure and arousal, improving your erection.
Using with a condom – it’s hard to say whether you should put your ring or condom on first (if you’re using one). Putting the ring on second might help keep the condom on, but it could also damage it. You will have to put your condom on second with a penoscrotal ring because they need to go on when you’re flaccid and condoms need to go on when you’re erect.